Selling Pork

General discussion about Red Wattle Hogs.

Selling Pork

Postby redwattles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 am

IMG.pdf
(686.5 KiB) Downloaded 1877 times

click on the attachment to open.
I wanted everyone to see the pork on this menu. This is from a higher class restaurant. Besides the center cut pork chops going for $26.00, there's country ham gumbo (listed under Shrimp & Grits), Chorizo Gnocchi, Bacon on the burger, Proscuitto in the Scallops, and Pork belly. The rest of the menu has Candied Bacon. (not Canadian)
Think outside of what you'd normally think, use your imagination. Everything about red wattle is great and there's a terrific open market for it. Think BIG and with pride. Don't undersell your product. If somebody says no, go on to the next place. The one that says yes will more than make up for it, and word will get around too.
redwattles

Re: Selling Pork

Postby TSchieffelbein » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 am

This will be much easier if the regional growers get together and are able to offer the meat in larger quantities. Think of marketing like the pork board, or the Angus beef marketing ideas.
TSchieffelbein

Postby wwickham » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Theresa! The Berkshire pork folks have been doing this for years. They are getting top dollar for their pork by selling it based on it's gourmet qualities. There is no reason we couldn't do the same with Red Wattles. Blind taste tests have proven the superior quality of red wattle pork.

I would really like to hear from others who would be interested in participating in a cooperative style sales and marketing program. Because I am in Eastern Iowa, I would be particularly interested in hearing from folks in district 7. We would all benefit from working together.
wwickham

Postby TSchieffelbein » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Call me sometime Walt and we can talk. I really want to work on a marketing plan for our region as well!
TSchieffelbein

Postby hatefulmechanic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 am

My partner on some farms in the past and I were discussing this the other day, and both agreed that if pork was marketed like the beef and dairy industry have been doing long before they started their branding, it would outsell beef easily.

Granted, now a lot of people focus on quality over quantity (great for small scale growers) and the farm to table movement is growing in popularity. Market to your target customer, not all consumers. As a good friend whom I thought of as a mentor once said "there is an ass for every seat" (he was a used car salesman for 56 years), and he is exactly right.

You can market and brand all ya want, but in reality this is a niche market, and those who go for their target customers are the ones who will succeed.
hatefulmechanic

Postby TSchieffelbein » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Amen to that Hatefulmechanic. The best part is that Red Wattle pork is so much better tasting than "regular" pork. I agree that the focus lately seems to be on more natural and more humanely raised meat. People are trying to connect to their food which is good, the same idea keeps popping up though....but Walmart only charges???
People are getting there but education is still needed.
TSchieffelbein

Return to General