Picture of a pork short rib

Want to share your secrets for cooking goodness? Post here.

Picture of a pork short rib

Postby bluhorseman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 pm

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Last edited by bluhorseman on Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluhorseman

Re: Picture of a pork short rib

Postby redwattles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 pm

David, since you're a licensed butcher and a chef, I hope you'll explain your picture as far as fat content, lean, color, and all that good stuff that we all should look for. For short ribs, in my opinion these look terrific. Short ribs historically have more fat, (except on our beloved red wattles!). That color is beautiful too. It looks deep and flavorful even before cooking.
redwattles

Postby TSchieffelbein » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 am

Look at that wonderful marble!
TSchieffelbein

Postby bluhorseman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

The hog was feed on corn and oaks and red and yellow raspberry . and a few other things
Last edited by bluhorseman on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluhorseman

Postby bluhorseman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:52 pm

We fed ( him ) 3 lbs of red and yellow raspberrys per day . that is what gives the meat its color and helps it stay real lean and 1/2 lbs per day of sweet corn and 1/2 lbs oaks for its fiber 3 tablespoon of green tea and 2 tablespoons of ginger and 6 hours of him running around the horse pasture with the dogs every day so it kept the body fat down
bluhorseman

Postby redwattles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 am

Red Wattle pork is naturally more red in color than other pork and especially commercial pork. I can see from the picture that the red raspberries added even more color. YUM! Everyone has their own thoughts, recipies and feeding programs but I wonder if anyone ever considers additional flavor in the growing period and not just the cooking stage? Feeding out your hog for around 6 weeks give or take on something in particular will give that pork a hint of the flavor. You can try nuts or fruits of different varieties. It would also make a great marketing tool. Advertise walnut finished pork chops or hams at a certain time of the year and develop a waiting list. Pork and fruits also go well together. Get together with your local orchard for left over apples, peaches or plums, or contact the local fruit and vegetable shops. Your hog will still need the grains, just not as much and supplement with those nuts or fruits.
redwattles

Return to Pork and Other Recipes