Newbie in Shiner Tx

Tell us a little about yourself when you join the forum.

Newbie in Shiner Tx

Postby MikeO » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm so excited to have a newcomer on the place! Just today my son and I took a drive to Conroe Tx and picked up a beautiful little girl from the Parkers. Very nice folks, I am sorry I interupted their dinner, but Donald was very patient and helped us, loading the 4 month old gilt into a large dog transporter they graciously donated to help us get her home. We had a great drive, gorgeous weather there and back (3 hours each way) When we got back my older son and I spent about a 1/2 hour securing the temporary pen and shed before the cold front hit... WOW did it hit. We got her unloaded and she refused to get out of the dog cage, so we just set her in the shed with her water and food. She was burried in her hay and all warm so we left her alone (with the cage door open) to wait out the weather. This week I'll get the real area set up for her with a fence and set up her half of the barn. I'll post pics on our website and put a link in here so you can see all our newbie mistakes, :oops: LOL I got quite a few tips from the Parkers, but if you would like to give us newbies some pointers, I would be greatfull. Again, thanks to all, and kudos for a Great site for the RWP guys, thanks
Mike, James, Kevin
MikeO

Re: Newbie in Shiner Tx

Postby earlyriser62 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 am

Welcome to the forum!

If we can be of any help as you get started with RW's please don't hesitate to contact us.

Brian Jordan RWHA President
Dot Parker Jordan RWHA Sec/Treas
redwattles@hotmail..com
812-521-1063
earlyriser62

Postby cornish heritage » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Welcome Mike,

Hope your newest member is now settled & getting used to you :)

Liz in Montana
www.cornishheritagehogs.com
cornish heritage

Postby MikeO » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:50 am

Wow, dead computers, work, kids.... oh yea, and daily farmy stuff, I can't believe it has been this long. It was recomended to me that I should wait to breed her until August or so, so her litter would be born at the beginning of winter instead of the heat of summer, so I have waited , (a little too long) she just went into heat on the 23rd, maybe the 22nd. The Little Red Girl has grown a bit, I'm guessing she is around 350 to 400! not too fat either... She is a rather convincing little thing. She did escape once by pushing through the tin on the shed I was letting use for shelter, we found her the next morning out with the cows, just grazing and talking to all the calves, they love each others company. I rattled the food can and hollered "C'mon Pig Pig!" and she waddled the 1/4 mile up the pasture and then followed me back into the enclosure like a dog. I think she enjoyed the pond and the freedom for the time she had, LOL. Anyhow, I'm back to a rather serious search of a boar I can have her bred to, then one I can purchase to put with her and a couple of her offspring, for the next litter. I'd rather not buy a boar for this litter due to the fact that I'm hoping to keep a couple of the best gilts for breeding. I guess you figured that out, anyhow, I can drive a bit with her, but I'm hoping there might be a good match somewhere in Texas... If you have a good option, let me know where, and how much it would cost. (Her reg number is 1988-R2 in case you want to check the COI) fastest way to contact me is mike.ohlh at gmail.com Thanks in Advance, Mike
MikeO

Return to New Member Introduction