New to Red Wattles

General discussion about Red Wattle Hogs.

New to Red Wattles

Postby SteveElliott » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello:

I was hoping to get some advice and recommendations on becoming a Red Wattle breeder. My wife grew up with and raised a variety of animals but I have limited experience with livestock. We are hoping to raise some Red Wattles on a hobby farm with a small flock of Navajo Churro sheep. We have an opportunity to buy two sows - one potentially bred at this point. We like the opportunity to get a fast start into Red Wattles by acquiring a bred Sow. I'm certainly mindful that it will be a bit of a trial by fire but a local owner needs to get out of the hobby quick. The second sows had Mastitis following her last litter. The mastitis has persisted with the presence of a single hard swollen gland. How much of a concern should this be? She appears quite healthy and able-bodied otherwise. There was some difficult when she was sent out to be bred this fall and it seems unlikely that she is bred based on behavior.

Does anyone have any books or resources to recommend? Many texts we've found just don't provide enough detail on raising pasture pork particularly for those looking to potentially do it in a certified organic manner.

Thanks for any assistance and I look forward to being an active member of this community.

Steve
Albany, WI
SteveElliott

Re: New to Red Wattles

Postby earlyriser62 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:19 pm

Steve, Two books we find useful are Dirt Hog and Successful Small Scale Pig Raising.

If you have specific questions pleae feel free to call us: 812-521-1063

Dot Jordan
RWHA Sec/Treas
earlyriser62

Re: New to Red Wattles

Postby cornish heritage » Sat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

There is a Yahoo group - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/homesteadhogs that has some VERY knowledgeable folks on it. They may well be able to help with the mastitis question. There are several Red Wattle breeders on there also.

Liz
cornish heritage

Return to General