Hi and Welcome!

Tell us a little about yourself when you join the forum.

Hi and Welcome!

Postby greenfire » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:48 am

I live on a 30-acre farm in North Florida. About ten years ago I started raising European wild boar. I enjoyed the animals but they were more impressive on the hoof than they were on the table. Then, about four years ago I began to focus on red wattles. I read glowing reviews of them and decided I'd give them a try. I spoke with a nice lady from Tennessee who had three adults for sale. I didn't know enough to ask about their pedigree or even whether they were registered. She brought them down to Florida in a horse trailer, and they were huge. But, one of the sows lacked wattles and subsequently gave birth to pigs that did not look like pure wattles.

That sow went to freezer camp.

The other sow and boar appeared pureblooded and produced young that look like pure wattles. But, they weren't registered. So, I looked around for registered stock and bought animals from Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio. These formed the foundation stock for my herd. I have two breeding groups, each with a boar and three sows. I can take young from each group and provide to other breeders unrelated registered pairs or trios.

We've eaten a lot of red wattle meat, and it is excellent. I'm convinced the breed is worth saving, but my own experiences revealed how difficult it is to find unrelated stock and how real the threat is of excessive inbreeding. That's why, with the help of a few other dedicated breeders and a really smart software designer, we created the Red Wattle Project. It's a labor of love, and it is our hope that it can grow as a resource to red wattles breeders and enthusiasts and be an important part of saving these remarkable animals.

If you'd like to learn a little more about our farm, you can go to:

www.greenfirefarms.com
greenfire

Return to New Member Introduction