Revival Ranch in America's Little Switzerland

Tell us a little about yourself when you join the forum.

Revival Ranch in America's Little Switzerland

Postby FreeRanger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:34 pm

We are a family of five located just outside of New Glarus Wisconsin, see www.swisstown.com for details on our village. We currently have two red wattle gilts which we hope to breed. We also are raising a few Dexter cattle at this time with plans to breed them as well. In the past we have raised Shetland sheep and commercial sheep but currently have NO sheep.

We are looking for an unrelated boar for the gilts but Clyde Grover has yet to send me the paper work on the two females. Has anyone used AI? I would be VERY interested in finding someone willing to try to provide us with a straw or two.

We did successfully raise three barrows this Fall/Winter with the last one gone to the butcher last week. Yes they can survive extreme cold weather of Wisconsin and still gain weight. We saw some -20's at night and the pigs are basically living outdoors under cover (three sided leanto on Northside of chicken coop). The girls are doing good by digging into the ground and covering themselves with straw. They are also getting along well with the flock of hens that share the covered space as their outdoor run in the winter time. The gilts enjoy playing "follow the leader" around the pasture with my wife daily. The hens love thawed out pumkins more than the pigs. The hens are starting to drink of the pig's water nipple these days. the nipple has only frozen once so far and not badly. Only took a little soaking in a pail of hot water to get the flow going again. The stock tank is inside the coop (with a floating heater) and the pipe coming out and down the wall is wrapped in electric heat tape.

That's are setup this winter. In the Fall we grazed the pigs using electric netting from Premier1, which I use to use for rotational grazing of sheep.
FreeRanger

Re: Revival Ranch in America's Little Switzerland

Postby hogtalker-46160 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:24 am

:D Welcome!

Glad to know RW are doing well in Wisconsin! Let us know if you need help in getting your girls papered. We'll be happy to help expedite things we know Clyde.

If you'll email us at: thefarmers@kissmygrassfarm.net we'll send you the new owners packet and the breeders list from the Red Wattle Hog Association.

Stay Warm!

Dot & Brian Jordan
RWHA, Secretary/Treasurer and VP
hogtalker-46160

Re: Revival Ranch in America's Little Switzerland

Postby greenfire » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Wow, that sounds cold...-20.

Welcome. Best of luck on finding a good boar. You may want to go to the Project database and try and locate an unrelated boar.
greenfire

Return to New Member Introduction