Baby Dexters

Questions, comments or stories about farm life or animals other than red wattles? Post here.

Baby Dexters

Postby earlyriser62 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 pm

We have 3 Dexter calves on the ground already: a black heifer, a dun heifer and a black bull. One more to go!
We are very pleased with the calves our bull, Kiss Me Will is throwing. Of course they all had to be born in the coldest days of winter! :)
earlyriser62

Re: Baby Dexters

Postby OurFarm » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 pm

We have Dexters as well. 7 cows, 1 yrlng heifer & 2 weanling heifers, along w/ lot's of freezer boys & our bull.

I've noticed that it seems Dexter owners also like RW pigs. Or is it the other way 'round? I've been told that it's just like when you get a green car & all of a sudden notice that there are a lot of green cars on the road all of a sudden. But, I think it's the pasturing ability, maternal instincts, superior taste & temperment that attracts us to both breeds.

I'd be interested in what other stock other people have.
Our Farm in SoWeCenMO
OurFarm

Postby earlyriser62 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:34 am

For us we started with the Dexters and the RW's came next. LOL :lol:
Our love for heritage breeds resulted in a rainbow cattle herd with Belties, White parks and Highland cattle in addition to the Dexters. Though the dexters are still my personal fav.

We also are converting our laying flock to heritage hens: non production RIR this year.And we're on the waiting list for a Large Black gilt in the fall. Yep, more pigs! :D

It just seems like heritage breeds fit with our program better and they are just hardier and easier to work with.

Dot
earlyriser62

Postby Melissa » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:45 pm

We have 10 Dexter cows bred or with calves at foot and a Dexter bull. We also have GOS pigs as well as the RWs and tons of heritage chickens, ducks and geese. I love heritage breeds. :)
Melissa

Return to Farm Life and Other Animals