HELLO FROM MICHIGAN- looking for advice/new info

Tell us a little about yourself when you join the forum.

HELLO FROM MICHIGAN- looking for advice/new info

Postby romansnaturalfarm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi. My wife and I started a small sustainable organic farm a couple of years ago when we got married and just purchased our first red wattle gilt. We are from Nunica, MI. We've bought feeder pigs several times and raised them up to slaughter and I have been raising pigs off/on my whole life. I have never really been into breeding pigs before and am hoping to gain a little advice.

*Does anyone know if there is a local place that semen can be bought to AI our gilt or if I will need to purchase a boar?

*How old does a gilt need to be to be bred?
romansnaturalfarm

Re: HELLO FROM MICHIGAN- looking for advice/new info

Postby redwattles » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Red Wattles!!

Currently I am not aware of anyone providing AI semen for Red Wattles, so you will probably want to purchase a boar. That being said there are several breeders who are considering having their boars collected and much discussion about the pros and cons of having AI as an option.

As for age of gilt: many breeders go by weight rather than size - >300lbs ( not fat or overweight). Gilts can breed as early as 6 months however most hog breeders do not breed their gilts before they are a minimum of 9 months. Some wait until gilts are a year old or more.

I hope this helps. If I can be of any assistance,please, don't hesitate to contact me.

Dot Parker Jordan
RWHA Sec/ Treas
redwattles@hotmail.com
redwattles

Return to New Member Introduction